Fashion Group International Night of Stars honors Michael Kors, Christian Siriano, Prabal Gurung and more
New York's torrential rains couldn't dampen the shining stars who came out to celebrate FGI's 38th annual Night of Stars gala and awards ceremony Thursday night. Held at the of-the-moment-popular Casa Cipriani at the tip of Manhattan overlooking the Statue of Liberty and downtown Brooklyn, the night honored Big Apple A-listers, both alive and dead.
As guests mingled in from their step-and-repeat moment, a cocktail party followed, hosted by FGI Rising Star designer Frederick Anderson, a veritable man about town in his own right. Attendees such as Dionne Warwick, Adut Akech, Jason Wu, Coco Rocha, Rebecca Moses, Linda Fargo, Andrew Hilfiger, Miss America Emma Broyles and more chatted over the music of The Misshapes led by Leigh Lezark.
As guests took their seats and Maryanne Grisz introduced the night's awards, saying: "FGI Night of Stars is a celebration of extraordinary individuals in entertainment, fashion, beauty, and culture. We are grateful to all who, by attending our most important fundraiser of the year, help Fashion Group International's mission to connect, provide resources, support new talent, and celebrate the fashion industry at every level."
Unfortunately, due to unforeseen reasons, Michael Kors was not able to attend in person and instead submitted a video statement, and his husband, Lance LePere, accepted the award on his behalf. “After 42 years in the fashion industry, it’s such an honor to receive this award from the Fashion Group International, such an important organization, and to have my dear friend Iman present it to me,” Kors said in the taped segment.
A star-studded lineup presented awards to this year's slate of "Artists and Icons" in categories spanning the fashion, entertainment, and business worlds, from style and retail to beauty, sustainability, and humanitarianism. Most curious may have been the award given to Elvis posthumously, which, presumably, thanks to the Baz Luhrmann movie, allowed for a reexamination of the genius of Elvis' over-the-top taste in jumpsuits. The awards were as follows:
- Supermodel and CEO of Iman Cosmetics IMAN presented the Superstar Award to designer Michael Kors.
- Actress Mariska Hargitay presented the Fashion Star Award to designer Christian Siriano.
- Author Candace Bushnell presented the Retail Award to LoveShackFancy, accepted on behalf of the company by Founder Rebecca Hessel Cohen in a particularly lively on-stage exchange between the two Manhattanites.
- Makeup artist Sir John presented the Beauty Award to Sharon Chuter, Founder of UOMA Beauty.
- Author Deepak Chopra presented the Sustainability Award to Firmenich, accepted on behalf of the company by Firmenich President Global Perfumery Ilaria Resta.
- Politician Huma Abedin presented the Humanitarian Award to designer Prabal Gurung.
- Actress Linda Marshall presented the Trailblazer Award to Grammy award-winning singer Dionne Warwick.
- Andy Hilfiger, Creative Director Andrew Charles, presented the Fashion Oracle Award posthumously to Elvis Presley, accepted on behalf of the musician by Joel Weinshanker, Managing Partner, Elvis Presley Enterprises/Graceland.
FGI Night of Stars ticket proceeds go to the organization's mission to support and empower members across the fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and retail sectors through various educational and mentorship programs, signature events, networking opportunities, business resources, and philanthropic partnerships.
Copyright © 2023 FashionNetwork.com All rights reserved.